2G magazine asks for the Headquarter of the Foundation Mies van der Rohe in Barcelona. The plot for the new building lies in front the German Pavilion designed by Mies van der Rohe in 1929 and rebuilt from scratch in 1986 by spanish architects.
The project deals with the relationship between the new building and the pavilion, but also with Mies van der Rohe’s legacy and the concept of originality. Nothing of the German Pavilion is authentic since the original project was meant to be temporary and therefore dismantled after the Universal Exhibition (World’s Fair) held in 1929.
The new building uses the same language, geometry and materials familiar to Mies van der Rohe’s architecture and revisits the National Gallery of Berlin. The headquarter is an open set of elements around a patio which introduces the visitor to both the German Pavilion and to Mies van der Rohe’s body of work in general. Instead of being a building closed in itself, it opens a direct dialogue with the pavilion using the same principles of composition, misrepresentation and tribute to the great master. A reflection on authenticity and representation.